Sand on coop floor - need opinion on choosing sand

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by elehman, Jun 16, 2011.

1. elehman

elehman New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi,

My first post! I love reading all the advice and stories on these forums...

We have decided to put sand on our coop floor and are searching for a local supply. We have a lumber mill near our house that sells bulk sands and stones, but I am not seeing an option that seems suitable. Does this look acceptable? Not sure if I can post a link, but here goes
    : http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-54226373967519_2155_14599297 My instinct says it is too coarse - it is called stone dust.

The only other option I can find is masonry sand, which also doesn't seem ideal...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks ok for a run. The finer stuff will be picked up for grit and the bigger stuff will help drainage. For litter, look at sandbox sand that is a more even size and finer

3. elehman

elehman New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks, I am guessing masonry sand is about the same as sandbox sand, so I'll go with that at only $40 per cubic yard. How think do people generally lay the sand in the coop and the run. I'm guessing around 3" each, or is that overkill?

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    On other posts I've read they do it about 3 inches deep. I'm getting ready to try sand in my coop for the first time too.

I almost forgot.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I sanded my run (but not the coop- I want good compost) just a few days ago, right before a big rain. BEST DECISION EVER! [​IMG]

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    elehman, stone dust is well...like dust. It is super fine, probably too fine for what you are considering. It is what masons use to lay as a foundation before putting down a patio, walkway, etc and what they lay in between the stones to "lock" them into place. Out of the two mansonry sand would be a better choice. Best wishes with your project!

7. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I'm getting ready to put sand in my runs, too. We just disassembled our 27' above ground pool (kids are gone and we have CHICKENS now - and they don't swim), that had literally tons of sand underneath, and I plan to put it to good use.

deb g

8. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I used washed all-purpose sand, which has a good mixture of grain sizes, about 3" deep. It's working out great.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by