Sand on run floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rich Marshall, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    I am planning on putting sand on my coop floor. I figure I will put chicken wire under that to prevent any digging under from preditors but did any of you include any sort of drainage under the sand. My coop is on soil. Also any types of sand suggestions? Thanks.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If the sand is on dirt and dry, why would you need drainage? If the base of the chicken house is dry I don't see a problem.

3. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Our soil here is heavy clay and doesn't drain well. I am planning a layer of pea gravel in the bottom of the run, packed down, with sand over that.

We'll see how it works.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Are you asking about the coop or the run? If you put down pea gravel, the sand will seep through the gravel and the dampness will travel back up through the sand.

If you want to sand to stay dry, as stupid as I sound here, don't let it get wet. If you in the coop, a drainage system of some sort around the high side of the coop should take care of that for sure. In the run, if it gets wet it will dry out. A couple a days of sunshine does wonders. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by