1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand on the ground?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by monarc23, Feb 10, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Hi all, I'm curious about something......can I, should I, use sand in my chickens future coops? Or should I leave them grass/dirt? My concern is all the mud I'm already seeing my standard sized birds doing in their temporary fenced in area (10ft wide by about 30ft long) 11 birds.

Does anyone do sand and if so is any kind okay?

Should I just leave the ground as is??? If so how can I go about keeping it not turning into a mud pit where they enjoy pacing back and forth hoping to see me? [​IMG]

I will be letting my birds out to partially free range on the nicer days under my supervision...however I want them to be in coop pens where they're comfortable and not walking around in muck until the ground dries.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. SpunkyChicken

SpunkyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    New Hampshire
  3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:THANK YOU!! [​IMG]

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Thats all we have here in our coops and runs (we are Sugar Sand Farms)lol I find it easier to clean as well as the sand drains better so no mud. Just watch what kind of sand you use some has chemicals in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by