1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand or Pine Shavings.. which creates more dust?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by izziebean, Apr 27, 2016.

1. izziebean

izziebean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Hi! So my flock had a bad case of IB last fall. Many survived, but symptoms reoccur with stress. I've been using deep litter in the coop. I turn the pine shavings every day and add in some to the top a few times a week. I've been reading about sand lately and was wondering if that might be better for them in the coop. I want to keep the dust to a minimum.

Does anyone know if sand or pine shavings are more dusty?

thanks!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I found the sand to be dustier than the shavings; much dustier.

3. izziebean

izziebean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Thank you for this! I will stick with shavings for now. This helped make the decision.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Have you tried the flaked shavings? I've found them to be less dusty and hold up better than regular shavings. We buy them at Tractor Supply.

5. Gowander

Gowander Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Carmi, BC Canada
    Good day
    Total newbie just got my first chicks a week ago?
    but when I was reading how dusty pine shavings were and I get irritated by the dust what I do is using a butterfly net with fairly small mesh I shake out the pine shavings outside prior to using in brooder, keeps dust down

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by