Sand or pine shavings, which is better?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by girliechicks, Aug 29, 2013.

1. girliechicks

girliechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    I started my first flock in March of 2013. We have a nice concrete floor in my coop. I started with straw on the floor, way too smelly, then went to pine shavings, much better. I am considering sand because I clean my coop often, and I am worried about the huge amount of shaving I am putting in my compost pile. What do others think about sand versus pine shavings?

2. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I've been using sand in me 4x8 enclosure. I'm happy with it. I'm using sweet PDZ for odor. That stuff is amazing. Lately with rain showers my run is damp, not muddy but damp. My peeps have it compacted down. I haven't had an odor but lately with the dampness I've noticed a musty (wet) smell. This weekend I'm going to take a shovel and loosen and turn the sand to help it dry. I'll probably add some more PDZ. But I'm still happy using sand. Nothing to carry out all the time, I just poop scoop regularly and that's it. Just got back to work, had all summer to fuss over my coop, now I need to get a new routine. I would have already had the sand turned. Oh well, it'll get done Saturday. I want to make this sand last a year before changing it out.

3. girliechicks

Aug 26, 2013
    Thank you, I have been reading your remarks in the other post, too. (I didn't see that one till after I posted my question) . You may have persuaded me to change to sand! Thanks for your comments!

4. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    My little flock can't free range. So all this is with them confined to their enclosed run. It's been a long time coming but we're finally going to make the cattle panel whoop run this weeken. They need to get out into the grass. That is going to make turning up the sand easier too with them out. I'm sold on the sand. Deep litter is a method peep have success with but doesn't fit my situation. I just didn't want to have to figure out what to do with all the waste material, straw shavings ect. I'm not composting so poo gets bagged up and tossed or we've been filling a depressed area in the yard. May take up composting in the future. Good luck[​IMG]

5. girliechicks

Aug 26, 2013
    Thanks, I am new to this, but my 13 hens are laying 7-13 eggs a day. My babies, born in May, all of a sudden started laying, too! I wasn't expecting that! Anyway, it's all fun. (Okay cleaning the coop isn't,but it's fun when it's clean! )

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have not used sand for a bedding.

That being said I find wood pellets (the type you burn in pellet stoves) better than pine shavings. They are super absorbent and swell up and turn to sawdust when they come in contact with moisture. and the poop just seems to dry up and turn into dust. However in my area wood pellets are not always available.

For my nest boxes I simple fold a feed bag to fit my nest boxes 1ft³. When the bag gets soiled simply fold a new bag pop out the soiled and pop in the new.

Easy Peasy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by