Sand or shavings in brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by From the North, Jan 26, 2013.

1. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    I noticed on some older threads that people spoke of using "play" sand in their brooders instead of shavings. What are the pros/cons of using sand vs shavings? Does anyone use straw or hay?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I used chopped straw (run through a wood chipper). It works great -- soft and fluffy. I considered sand but it's very heavy and I wouldn't have been able to move the brooder once it had a few inches of sand.

3. Lolachick07

Lolachick07 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This spring, I'm probably going to use sand because of how easy it is to clean. But, like debid said, it'll be heavy...

4. Lolachick07

Lolachick07 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This spring, I'm probably going to use sand because of how easy it is to clean. But, like debid said, it'll be heavy...

5. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Sand is great, so long as you keep it pretty dry.
    Its easly to clean, will help dry out litter, keeps the area dry from occasional water splashes.
    However if you let it get too wet its a real bother to clean and dry out. Make sure you keep an eye on the water because if one tips over its such a mess.
    I could be imagining things but at least the pullets did better with their food when they were on sand compared to just chips or other materials. I think the sand acts well as a baby-grit. Again, could just be something else.

6. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I use dirt from the hen yard, or from under a leaf pile, they go nuts digging stuff (bugs worms eggs roots, etc) out and the games are on! Yes it gets heavy, I dump the "litter" in the garden where the hens go pick out any food that was lost to the floor. Went out and got some nice soft dead/dormant grass for a nest and they ate it! They liked it way more than I thought they would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by