1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand or shavings in the brooder???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by megnchicks, Apr 24, 2017.

1. megnchicks

megnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynchburg, VA
    I read somewhere that you can use sand in the coop instead of shavings. I heard it was easier to clean and the chickens love it. Currently I have two large plastic containers with a large hole in the middle (kind of like a tunnel) so my chicks have more room. I am getting ready to upgrade to a large appliance box so they have more room as they are getting too big for the tote containers (did I mention I have 21 chicks). Currently we use pine shavings from TSC but I'm considering using sand in the large box instead of shavings. Would this be ok, or are they too young for that. I do have a bowl of sand in the brooder for them to play in, but they rarely get in it.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Lots of people use it . I would not personally

3. megnchicks

megnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynchburg, VA
    Can I ask your reasoning? Maybe you know something that I don't. I want to take all info before I make my final decision. Also is your opinion on sand all inclusive or just for the brooder?

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I used sand, they loved it, I loved it. Easy to clean & they have a blast dust bathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by