sand question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeanne25, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jeanne25

jeanne25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    We are ready to get sand for our run and I'm not sure if I should get "medium" river sand or "fine" river sand from our local building material supplier.
    Any suggestions?

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I got "all purpose sand" which is a mix of pebble sizes in a fine sand base. If fine and medium are your only choices, I would go with fine for chicks, but medium after 5-6 weeks. They need the grain to be a good size to aid digestion. They might also need access to some larger sized pebbles, but I'll let someone smarter than me speak to that.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    We have always used sand in our run. It doesn't matter which size you use. They both will serve all functions required (great drainage, grit, dustbathing, etc.)

4. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
  5. rockbottompottery

rockbottompottery Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    portland oregon
    i use play sand . like for sand boxes which ever grade that is

6. rockbottompottery

rockbottompottery Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    portland oregon
    We made a 3x3 box 12 inches off the ground, 8 inches deep and filled it with play sand. On a rainy day when their usual dust bath spots are muddy, we uncover this box and they line up to take a turn flopping around in the dry sand. A great addition to our run.

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Being from Portland that is a great idea.. keep it covered till it is to wet in their regular spot. I was gonna say this if the sand was for your entire run and exposed to the weather that id go with the medium sand over fine. So when we get the mass down-pours it would help drain quicker then the fine sand which can pack when wet and not drain as fast in heavy rain. Just my 2cents. BTW what kinda chickens are you getting/have, and do you have a local breeder that your pleased with? I have seen some in the Battleground area I have yet to try.

8. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    medium. the fine sand get damp too easy and the larger pebbles can be raked and sprayed down with the hose. also the medium wont stick to the chicks feet as much if/when it does get wet

9. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
  10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just saw an ad for what was called "horse ring sand". Anybody have a clue what that is. They said it was kinda brown. I have to assume that's river sand. $400 for 18 tons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by