1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bloom_ss, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Since I am new to this whole chicken thing I figured I would ask all you experts before I continue with what I have here. Today I went and bought sand for my coop. I have read that a lot of you use it kind of like kitty litter and scoop the poop out with a litter scoop. So, in hopes that I could do the same I went and bought some bags of sand today...I had read somewhere on this forum that medium grit is the best to get because it has different size grains of sand that is good for the chickens. Anywho, I got the sand, brought it home, and as I was taking the bags out of my car I read on the bag that the sand contains silica and not to breathe the dust. [​IMG] Obviously, if we can't breathe the dust then it can't be good for chickens either. So, my point is, what kind of sand do I need and where do I get it?? BTW this is the sand I got: http://www.sakrete.com/products/detail.cfm/prod_alias/MultiPurpose-Sand and I got it at Home Depot. Does play sand work for chickens? I saw some of that there so maybe I could just go trade it if that will work. [​IMG] Please help this newbie!! Thanks! [​IMG]

~Stephanie

2. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    I don't know the answer but I am grateful you asked the question as I have the same one. Will watch what happens on your thread very closely.

3. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    I have been using Sacrete Play Sand from Lowe's for three months with no harm to the chickens, so I know that type is ok. I started using it when they were less than a week old to help prevent pasty butt. (The bag says "washed.")

4. gobblerunfarms

gobblerunfarms Out Of The Brooder

We just go down to a creek and shovel five gallon buckets of sand from the creeks edge. it works great and its free.

5. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
  6. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    So, I guess play sand is out then. [​IMG] Not really sure where to get "proper" sand for chickens around here if I can't get it at Home Depot. [​IMG]

7. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Old Mother Hen said she was sing play sand and it was fine. I bet there is more than one right answer here. [​IMG]

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I just got bags of mortar sand. [​IMG]

9. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:I don't know...maybe I'll call around town tomorrow and see what I can find. This chicken stuff is a lot more complicated than I was lead to believe...LOL I love my little chickies though so I want to make sure they are happy! [​IMG] I will get the play sand if I can't find anything else I guess. Thanks for your help!

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I read on the bag that the sand contains silica and not to breathe the dust

Silica is the most common element in the Earth's crust.

DE is 85-90% Silica.

Breathing ANY kind of dust is bad for you.

Don't worry about the warning too much
    Lawyers made them put it there
    This chicken stuff is a lot more complicated than I was lead to believe.

Only if you make it complicated.

Its all just sand, and there is no "right" or "wrong" kind to use.

Get what is cheapest​

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by