Sand Run for Chickens IS WET!!! Help

Duemig10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Garner, NC
We filled the run for my chickens with 2,000lbs of sand and before the roof could be added on, it rained and rained and rained and now the sand is wet. How can I dry the sand out? Or do I just put new sand on top of the old sand. Poop + rain = smelly!!!! I have already sprinkled down some DE, should I add more? Please help.

Thank you.

The sand usually dries out pretty quick. You can add some more on top if your worried about the smell. Mine have sand in their run too but the run is covered so it stays pretty dry.

It is covered now but it is a little too late for me since the run already got wet. Do you think if I mix the sand around it will dry out sooner?

You'll be surprised at how the sand really doesn't smell.....It can though, if you don't rake it regularly. I use a kitty litter scoop and scoop up the big poops and then I rake it all real good with a garden rake to stir it up. There's really hardly any smell.

I think raking it is the key.

Yes mine got rained on as well. I just took the metal garden rake after about a day of sun and scratched it all up. Dried out pretty quick. I would not go to the expense and trouble of adding more sand unless you are getting low anyway. Scoop up the big poop and rake once a week and you should be fine. You can also rake in some Sweet PDZ to help with the drying time. PDZ is a stall drying agent (a mineral powder).

Enh, no big deal, as others have said it will be FINE. Anyhow it will get somewhat wet even once the roof is on, rain does not fall only-downwards
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom