Sand Run for Chickens IS WET!!! Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Duemig10, May 10, 2011.

1. Duemig10

Duemig10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    We filled the run for my chickens with 2,000lbs of sand and before the roof could be added on, it rained and rained and rained and now the sand is wet. How can I dry the sand out? Or do I just put new sand on top of the old sand. Poop + rain = smelly!!!! I have already sprinkled down some DE, should I add more? Please help.

Thank you.

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    The sand usually dries out pretty quick. You can add some more on top if your worried about the smell. Mine have sand in their run too but the run is covered so it stays pretty dry.

3. Duemig10

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    It is covered now but it is a little too late for me since the run already got wet. Do you think if I mix the sand around it will dry out sooner?

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You'll be surprised at how the sand really doesn't smell.....It can though, if you don't rake it regularly. I use a kitty litter scoop and scoop up the big poops and then I rake it all real good with a garden rake to stir it up. There's really hardly any smell.

I think raking it is the key.

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Yes mine got rained on as well. I just took the metal garden rake after about a day of sun and scratched it all up. Dried out pretty quick. I would not go to the expense and trouble of adding more sand unless you are getting low anyway. Scoop up the big poop and rake once a week and you should be fine. You can also rake in some Sweet PDZ to help with the drying time. PDZ is a stall drying agent (a mineral powder).

6. Duemig10

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    I do have the Sweet PDZ. I will try raking it and mixing in the Sweet PDZ to see if that works.

Thank you.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Enh, no big deal, as others have said it will be FINE. Anyhow it will get somewhat wet even once the roof is on, rain does not fall only-downwards [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by