1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand Sifters can I see pics??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lhayes1976, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Would love to see pics of what you guys use to sift the sand in your runs and coops.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You mean to get the poop? I don't touch it. It just goes away....I don't know where it goes...but it goes there.
    sharon

3. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I also don't "sift" the poo that accumulates in my sand filled run. It somehow doesn't accumulate! The poo in my dirt run I have to rake out and remove with a shovel. I originally bought an enormous sized kitty-litter scoop @ my local dollar store to sift out the poo, but it seems to just break down and disappear into the sand. Wish I could fill my dirt run with sand too so I wouldn't have to rake and shovel poo! [​IMG]

5. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    You're right about the poo, I don't really see any of that, mostly just leftover weeds and scraps that they wouldn't eat. I guess a raking would probably clean that up. But what about the coop--do you all sift that?

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Ah, I live in Florida...don't have a coop. Mine is an open air pen. One solid wall on the back with a piece on one side. Whole thing is covered and sand on the bottom.
    sharon

7. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I have pine shavings in my coop. I do not sift this either. Most of their poo is on the droppings board under their roost, so I do have to scrape this clean every few days. The shavings stay pretty clean. It's been about a year and i've added shavings to the original layer. There is no smell at all - even after a year! I occasionally sprinkle in some Sweet-Pdz or some D.E. on top of the shavings and the sand in the run - they scratch it in with their velociraptor-like talons. I suppose it's time for a shavings cleanout and replacement - but it always seems like there's something in the wheelbarrow that needs to be emptied. [​IMG]

8. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    You can see a picture of my "chicken sifter" on my BYC page.

In my coop I have wood shavings. I with the other guy who said I don't know where it goes, it just goes there. Turns into dirt.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    In my juvenile pen I put down white play sand to help keep the poop as dry as possible. I don't have a picture, but I took a large dust pan from the dollar store and cut out the center, then glued 1/4 inch hardware cloth over the cutout. Works great!! You can also use the mesh colanders, but they are more difficult to use.

Ultimately, I decided to change them over to shavings because cleaning the 4X8 pen just took too long.

10. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:What a clever idea. [​IMG] Off to the Dollar Store I go.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by