1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sand vs. grit for chicks (3 week old chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lorain's fids, Jul 17, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    My chicks will be 3 weeks this Wednesday. I would like to start giving them some sand/ or grit. I had asked at Agway and was told that the grit they sold was to big for them. I bought sand, but it is" washed play sand" ( I have no clue as to what washed sand means). Is that to fine to give them, or should I just get a regular bag of sand? My intentions for giving them sand/grit is that I want to put them in a pen to play in the grass while I am outside with them, so I was figuring if they eat a bug or something they would need sand/grit. Also since they are turning 3 weeks, I figured I'd incorporate some fruits and veggies into their diet.
    I am new to having chickens, and have a million questions on raising them, but I figure I am doing something right because all 6 of the girls seem happy, they run around, play and they keep growing -LOL!!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Your right, if they are going to be eatin bugs and grass they will be needing grit.
    My chicks get plain ol river sand. I think construction sand would be the equivalent if I was having to buy some.
    I think I've read that some folks consider "play sand" to be too fine.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Even the play sand has tiny rocks in it. I strained some out of dd's sandbox for our ducklings. There are always smaller pieces of grit in the bags for adult chickens. I used a colander to sift out smaller pieces for our chicks.

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My chicks ate washed play sand (it was the litter of the brooder) from the age of one week and they're all doing great at 13 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by