Sand?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ben is a terror, May 20, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I know I can use sand in the coop even if it's an 8x10 shed? what about the run? It's about 40x15 not counting the coop. Right now it's a muddy mess. Some people say sand and stone if so what kind of stone. Same question for a duck run. If not sand and stone what for outside?

2. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I have only had sand in my 8 x 16 ft run for about a month now but it seems to be a good choice. It has rained here for about a week straight but there is no standing water in the low spots like I had when it was just dirt. The chickens stay cleaner. My Delaware hen has taken on a reddish hue but everyone seems happy. There is also no smell in the run, even with all the rain. If I had not put the sand in, it would be very stinky in the run right now. I highly recommend sand in the run.

Terri

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont use sand inside their house. I have a good size run, about 35'x12' and another that is 15'x5'. I put 3 cubic yards of sand altogether in the runs...about 4-5 inches deep. I'm so glad I did and shouldve done it a long time ago, but I had a big dirtpile to get rid of first and that was what I used after "gully washer" thunderstorms washed it all out. The sand absorbs the rain without washouts and dries quickly. No more fly problems neither, easier to scoop poop as well. Here, I paid $25 per cubic yard, including tax. I cant help you regarding stone, sorry.

4. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Do you have any stone? How deep did you make the sand? Do you have sand in your coop? If not what? I was using hay but wet and smelly. [​IMG]

5. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    I am going to put sand in my run which is 6' x 10'. The sand will be placed right on top of the dirt. I use pine shavings in the nest boxes and underneath their roost. I clean the poop about every other day from the hen house. From what I have read on BYC, the run can be cleaned out very easily when you use sand. Good luck.

6. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Well I guess I know what I'm doing Monday

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by