Sand?

Last edited:
We have an open coop/run, three sides open with only wire. The first eight feet is roofed and we have added the sand under the roofed part. About every other day or so, we rake the sand to an area on the dirt floor. This area is in the runoff of the roof and the poop disappears. I guess the rain water melts it or whatever. Sand has been great for us, but we live in a hot steamy climate and don't really need an enclosed coop. Sand might not be good for everyone, but it has made our coop a lot easier to keep clean.

BTW, is it OK to give our hens chocolate?
lol.png

Quote:
Kind of OT but...

Short answer, no.
tongue.png

Sciency answer: Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which are toxic to chickens and can cause liver damage and sometimes even cardiac arrest. It is also linked with stunted growth.

I put construction sand on top of wash rock in the run. It drains and dries well. Check my BYC page for some pics.

Quote:
Same climate, same type of coop set up I have. I did lay a base of pea gravel for drainage before I put down the sand though. I covered the whole coop/run area with it.

Pawsplus - thanks tons for taking the itme to post the pics and details of your sand run. I was going to ask for pics of sand runs and if crush and run would be doable! You covered both for me.

I have a raised coop with a strip of wire cloth and am trying to determine the best method of poop control....I think the sand run and maybe a slide out poop board might be helpful....

At any rate, thanks again for your pics!

Back
Top Bottom