1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Does the sand have to be on top of gravel? or can it just be on top our dirt??

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    We have an open coop/run, three sides open with only wire. The first eight feet is roofed and we have added the sand under the roofed part. About every other day or so, we rake the sand to an area on the dirt floor. This area is in the runoff of the roof and the poop disappears. I guess the rain water melts it or whatever. Sand has been great for us, but we live in a hot steamy climate and don't really need an enclosed coop. Sand might not be good for everyone, but it has made our coop a lot easier to keep clean.

BTW, is it OK to give our hens chocolate?[​IMG]

4. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    In my coop area I only have smooth pea gravel. Its so easy to keep clean (just hose it).. They have our entire yard for a run.

5. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Kind of OT but...

Short answer, no. [​IMG]

Sciency answer: Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which are toxic to chickens and can cause liver damage and sometimes even cardiac arrest. It is also linked with stunted growth.

6. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I put construction sand on top of wash rock in the run. It drains and dries well. Check my BYC page for some pics.

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Same climate, same type of coop set up I have. I did lay a base of pea gravel for drainage before I put down the sand though. I covered the whole coop/run area with it.

8. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    Pawsplus - thanks tons for taking the itme to post the pics and details of your sand run. I was going to ask for pics of sand runs and if crush and run would be doable! You covered both for me.

I have a raised coop with a strip of wire cloth and am trying to determine the best method of poop control....I think the sand run and maybe a slide out poop board might be helpful....

At any rate, thanks again for your pics!

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Glad it helped! [​IMG] Keep us posted on your progress!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by