Sandhill Cranes

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by SumatraBantamandDutchBant, Jun 19, 2010.

1. SumatraBantamandDutchBant

SumatraBantamandDutchBant New Egg

Mar 16, 2009
    I am wondering if its even possible to get a mating pair of sandhill cranes?

2. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes but you need the "special purpose permit" from the federal Fish & Wildlife Service.

3. SumatraBantamandDutchBant

Mar 16, 2009
    What would be required to obtain one of those licences?

4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:First you would probably need a state permit, you would have to check with your local/state dept of natural resources (game, fish & parks). After you have the state permit then you can get the federal permit.

5. SumatraBantamandDutchBant

Mar 16, 2009
    Thankyou! I find them very attractive birds and they are hunted in different states so i didnt know that it would be difficult to get a pair!

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

We have them all over down here in FL. I have a pair that has so far successfully raised both chicks to near adult hood. They are always in my pastures and yard. They are so cool to watch, and the chicks grow amazingly fast! Edited to add that they aren't mine, they are wild. But at any given time there are 2-3 pairs that frequent and use my 50 acres (different pastures) as what seems to be their base range.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Here in Georgia too, loaded with them, but like Spectrum was saying, keeping them, is a massive permit under taking, on top of that, I have always been in the waterfowl-and exotic fowl keeping and have never once seen some one with them for sell.
    You'd be better off getting crowned or demosellie cranes, $1500-$2000 per pair to start for yearlings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by