1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sandhill Poultry's Black Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredBuff, Sep 26, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    What do they look like? Were they broody often? How was their laying abilities?

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    bump

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Mine are not from Sandhill, but I can tell you the ones I have are great broodies and decent layers. Very big girls. I haven't grown out a roo-working on that now. There are quite a few breeders on BYC that have them.

4. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    I have a few sandhill blues and blacks that I purchased this May. They have just started to lay. They are hatchery looking birds to me. I have culled out all the roos and a few of the hens. It is my opinion that the black hens I got from them are better quality than most of their blues, but still nothing to crow about.

I am going to breed them to some roos I got from Bama... then cull again and again.. until my stock IS something to crow about [​IMG]

5. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    You will get an occassional nice looking hen/pullet but the males occassionally have the red leakage in their plumage on the ones I have seen. Remember Blacks were very hard to get just a few years ago but now there are quality birds available thanks to a few good people.

6. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    What is it like to order from Sandhill? I have never gotten a response from them. I've called and emailed and nothing. I've requested a catalog but nothing???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by