Sandhill Preservation

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by farmgirl1995, Jan 28, 2011.

1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    Hey:) I'm thinking about ordering from them this year and I have a few questions. Do they have good service? Are the chickens show quality?

Has anyone ever gotten mahogany faverolles, black americanas, black orpingtons, or the buff wyandottes from them? If so, will you post pictures?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Isn't someone from that family, members here?

3. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    I have no idea. Probably. lol

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I ordered 3 batches last year, over 80 chicks received.
    Easter Eggers-good, but they are mutts anyway, thought I was ordering the Black Ameraucanas
    Buckeyes-got a couple of decent pullets
    Black Minorcas-will order more this spring, LOVED them. I had a beautiful roo but found him dead from unknown reasons one morning when opening the coop for the day.
    Polish-will never own again, but were not of good quality
    BBS Orpingtons-have gotten some decent looking birds. The pullet (only one of the bunch)is a bit smaller than the pullet I have from a breeder. The boys seem to be of good size and are fair type.
    White Jersey Giants-good size and overall type, but most of them have wrong leg/foot color. Rather than having willow colored legs with yellow bottoms on their feet, they have light colored slate legs with yellow on the feet bottoms. Only 2 of 7 had correct leg color.
    Black Jersey Giants-typical hatchery quality.
    Golden Brabanters-seriously lacking in the top knot.
    I had a few other breeds too, nothing significantly good, and some bad. I am not impressed by their flock management. They are working with heritage breeds, but then do crossing to achieve better vigor, however compromising breed integrity. I had a number of chicks with crooked toes, bad coloring. I lost sever chicks through shipping and within the first 2 days.
    Unless you know that the breed you are getting has been bred well from them, you are taking a chance of getting typical hatchery quality.
    I am going to order more Black Minorcas and Buckeyes.
    I do feel it is important to mention that their service is wonderful and they are very nice people to deal with. Even though they were not able to fulfill my orders on the dates that I wanted, they sent me lots of extras of various breeds and sent me a complete order when they were available. They even sent me a credit since they could not fill some of the breeds I ordered. If you just want some rare breeds, you could get them there. If you are looking for show quality, the only ones I recommend based on my experience is the Black Minorca.
    Good luck.

5. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Good to hear about the Brabanters. That was one of the breeds I've been wanting to try, along with Houdan and RO. From what I've gathered, I think I would do just as well getting all of these breeds from Ideal. [​IMG] (Even though it will be mottled Houdan instead of white.)

I do like to support the little guys when I can, but I think they have grown too popular for what they can put together on a regular basis. People that have ordered the heavy breed assortments for a blend of heritage-type dual purpose birds have been pleased, I hear. The Buff Chanteclers I've seen from them are impressive birds, if not a bit loose feathered which is a pretty universal problem in the variety.

6. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Well, dang. Thats kind of disappointing. With those prices you would think that you we're getting better quality. Oh well. At least the people were pleasant.
    I think I'm gonna get some black orpingtons from them.
    I like to support the little guys too.

7. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    There is another much longer thread on this. Check it out. SOme are happy some are not. kinda like life.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yep, that's right!

I would NOT get Mahogany Faverolles, we have ordered them from Sandhill twice and I would never get them again. Go head on to the Faverolles thread and they can probably give you a hint or two on Mahogany Faverolles breeders.

9. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Ewesheep, I saw Faves at the Stockton show yesterday. I now see why there is a cult following. They are gorgeous. The featherfootedness held me back, but they seem mellow and sweet.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yep I had them when I first got chickens from a breeder. They are very laid back! They are easily picked on by aggressive birds in the flock so that is why its best to have chicks or hatch from eggs for assorted varieties. I sold my last Fav bantam to a friend of mine two years ago and now I regretted in selling her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by