Sandi K's Drunken Beef

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Sandi K's Drunken Beef
A dear old friend served this at a party about a year ago - it was so good I was hovering around the crock pot the whole time.... WOW !!

Mis en place

3-4 lb. beef roast
3 14 oz. cans beef stock
1 bottle good cabernet or merlot
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
Beurre manie (1 Tbls butter creamed with 2 Tbls flour)

Season roast with S&P and some Herbs de Provence. Roast in preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove to a plate and let cool completely. Now cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Next day remove and slice thin and break into roughly 2x3 inch pieces. In crock pot combine beef stock, 1/2 the red wine and beurre manie, mix well, then add packet of onion soup mix and beef slices and with crock pot set to medium cook 6 hours. If level of liquid gets low add more wine.

Place Crock Pot on counter and serve with those little potato rolls. Watch it disappear.

BIG

The BigMan guards the Crock Pot at Sandi's on Christmas Day...

Big

33875920910_0_BG.jpg

This sounds very similar to the Hoosier Eye-Talian Beef recipe I learned when I moved here.

Except the roast is not cooked first (how "cooked" is a 3-4# roast in 30min anyhow?) and the total seasoning is a jar of pepperoncini with their brine & the onion soup mix. Everything just gets tossed into the slowcooker.
After 6-8h the beef just falls aprt into shreds and the peppers are cooked into submission unless they were really hot to begin with.

Next time if I sub the wine/stock for the peppers/brine - IYO would that work?

Sandi K's Drunken Beef??????

I clicked on this expecting a rant!
lau.gif
I was happy to read a great recipe instead. I bet this would work for lamb as well. Mmmmmm....
droolin.gif

bigmike&nan :

[Try Sandi's recipe as you see it... It really is terrific. And if you have the patience bake off a big batch of my sweet potato rolls

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=165770

to serve it on. Yowzah !!

Michael

Well, I'm gonna try it MY way...cuz I'm stubborn
cool.png

But the sweet potato rolls sound like an excellent project for the same day : - 9

I'll report back with results when I've done the deed​

Quote:
Well, I'm gonna try it MY way...cuz I'm stubborn
cool.png

But the sweet potato rolls sound like an excellent project for the same day : - 9

I'll report back with results when I've done the deed

You must be a real character in person, lol...

When you sear the meat and then let it cool and refrigerate it it softens the tissues, big thing...

And using red wine and a decent beef stock give the sauce it cooks in a real mellow flavor. I was taught you cook with a wine you'd be ok drinking - anything less just save it for cleaning the engine block with... I spent my teen's in Chicago and am familiar with what they call Italian Beef sandwiches,,, your version sounds like it would come out like that...

Good luck with your experiment... I've seen guys use a real nice wheat beer, or a tasty amber lager instead of wine.

bigmike&nan :

You must be a real character in person, lol...

When you sear the meat and then let it cool and refrigerate it it softens the tissues, big thing...

And using red wine and a decent beef stock give the sauce it cooks in a real mellow flavor. I was taught you cook with a wine you'd be ok drinking - anything less just save it for cleaning the engine block with... I spent my teen's in Chicago and am familiar with what they call Italian Beef sandwiches,,, your version sounds like it would come out like that...

Good luck with your experiment... I've seen guys use a real nice wheat beer, or a tasty amber lager instead of wine.

I've been called A Piece of Work..among other things...
big_smile.png

OK, OK - I'll do it your way {long-suffering sigh}
Totally agree on the wine - I have about 1/2 a bottle of a nice red left & will use that.
If it has turned to vinegar (I'm really more of a white drinker - this was a gift) then I'll try the beer.
The vinegar in the pepperoncini brine does the tenderizing in my version.

I am a transplanted Chicagoan myself. Lived 30+ years a block from Wrigley Field. I was born on the "Sout" Side, grew up in the burbs and moved back to the City when I was 18.
The Hoosier beef doesn't come out sliceable like Chicago-style, it shreds like ropa vieja but the taste is similar.

Keep the recipes coming!
Last night I made your Black & White pasta - Heaven!!!
I made garlic bread from frugal's cornmeal bread and it went well with the pastas.
If you guys don't stop posting here I'll have to switch to the jeans with the elastic waistband soon
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom