Sandy Deposits on EEs eggs *pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xxadrixx, Sep 16, 2011.

1. xxadrixx

xxadrixx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Downey
    Hi all,
    I did find a post on this from last year and I looked at the book they suggested and it says sandpaper eggs are due usually to disease or lack of water. But My girls have plenty of water and she has always laid eggs like this &as far as I know she is healthy. It's only my EE that has it not my BR it's no big deal to me but I just want to be sure she is healthy. Oh sometimes the deposits are in the egg too, that's kinda not so pretty, it's usually a small cluster and looks the same as the outside but it's gooey from being IN the egg.. Anyone else have this or can offer soem input? Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. Willem81

Willem81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    Do you supplement with extra calcium? I would imagine that it's excess calcium. I had a chicken that laid eggs with this on them, but it was not quite as heavy.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Is she getting into something she shouldnt be? I say that because all those little balls are all the same size just clumped together. It kind of loks like the stuff that they put on non-pareils candy or the stuffing from a 00 Buckshot. I have had chucks of oyster shell on eggs but it was not uniform as those.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She just has a mis firing shell gland system. I would not worry about it as it is probably genetic.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:I agree the chicken is secreting excess calcium. It may not be that she's consuming too much calcium, just that her little chicken body sheds it this way.

6. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Wow. Thanks for posting and showing a pic. I've never seen something like that before and it's interesting to learn what it is. Love this site.

7. target022

target022 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    My EE has the same thing on her eggs. Sometimes there's a lot, sometimes there's nothing. Seems to be genetic. Never affects the eggs though. I supplement with oyster shell.

8. xxadrixx

Feb 8, 2011
    Downey
    target022 I think you're right because everyone that I've talked to that has experienced that it's with an EE and it's the same thing with my girl sometimes nothing sometimes a lot, like in the pic.

I do give both my girls oyster shells and I tried giving them less for a few months and then more but it didn't effect the deposits but my BR never has any deposits like that. Also when I got her from a friend she laid eggs like that too and she was eating different food with him..

I've never heard of the mis firing shell gland system but i will look into that

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I don't think there is literally a "mis firing shell gland system" per se. I just meant that something is up with the way she deposits calcium on the eggs since it happens all the time.

10. xxadrixx

Feb 8, 2011
    Downey
    o ok I gotcha, thanks again. Love your photo btw it's so "urban chicken enthusiast"[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by