Sandy Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Caity, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Caity

Caity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Husband and I are working on our coop, and after reading everyone's posts about the benefits of a sandy run, we're thinking of doing that. A lot of people seem to suggest boxing in the run floor with pressure treated wood, but I have heard that the chemicals in it aren't good for the chickens. I also was wondering if it breaks down--even pressure treated it's still wood buried in the ground! We were thinking instead of using cinder block (with gaps between for drainage) lined with that pourous gardening cloth (although now that I think about it--it's probably chuck full of chemicals too. hmmmm). Anyway, I'd love your opinions!

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm paranoid about pressure treated wood, so at the base of our run we used regular wood but gave it a couple coats of paint before putting it down. Plus the run is covered and the cover overhangs the wood so it doesn't get wet. It's been up a year and doesn't show any damage. Good luck with your project!

3. 2Old2Crow

2Old2Crow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Kaleefornia Foothills
    If you put pressure treated wood into the ground, the termites will not care about any chemicals in it. They will destroy the integrity of a board in no time flat. FWIW, arsenic is no longer put into PT wood. I think the cinder block method is the correct way to go.

4. Caity

Caity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central, NC
    Ah, I hadn't thought about insects destroying the wood. Seems like cinder block's the way to go then! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by