Sanitize Craigslist Coop

MAchicken105

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
MA
My Coop
My Coop
I recently bought a fantastic coop from Craigslist, only 2 yrs old but needs a deep clean. He said his flock got "sick" and was completely wiped out. So my question is how can sanitize this coop in order to protect my new flock? Suggestions on methods and products to use would be greatly appreciated!

It's important to find out what wiped out his flock. Some viruses such as Marek's can't be sanitized out of the environment, including living quarters. It lives for years, even ten, in spite of all attempts to eradicate it.

If it was not a virus, but a pathogen or parasite such as botulism or cocci that killed his chickens, simply scrubbing with a chlorine solution will sanitize the coop.

He definitely said it was a mite infestation that he could not control but couldn't think of the exact terminology. He also mentioned he's owned chickens for many years and never had a mite problem. I plan on issuing DE in the coop/run/boxes etc. will this ward them off? Do mites live on in the coop after the chickens are removed?

He definitely said it was a mite infestation that he could not control but couldn't think of the exact terminology. He also mentioned he's owned chickens for many years and never had a mite problem. I plan on issuing DE in the coop/run/boxes etc. will this ward them off? Do mites live on in the coop after the chickens are removed?
Mites will laugh at DE, and invite their friends to join the orgy. They live for a long time in every little nook and cranny of the coop. Your best bet would be to walk away from this sale. If it's too late for that: What is it constructed out of? I think I'd try a pressure washer with a bleach and soap solution. Remove all of the parts that you can remove. Realize that any mites that fall to the ground will be crawling and looking for a new host. They can live up to 10 months (IIRC) between meals. After you pressure blast it and let it sit in the sun to dry out thoroughly, you should thoroughly dust every bit of it with permethrin powder or a permethrin spray, and again, let it sit for a couple of weeks. Follow up with a second cleaning. But, seriously... mites don't usually wipe out a flock. He had some other disease process going on.

Thanks for that helpful post. I got some clarification from the previous owner. It was just mites that his chickens had. Apparently he just didn't want to go through the process of decontamination and decided to kill them instead. Yea I Know. Not cool. Also, he said the coop had been empty for 5 months. So it's been through an entire winter and then some empty. From how it looks when I picked it up I do believe that. So I will be renting a power washer this weekend as I've already bought the coop and can't afford a new one. I don't have my chicks yet so it will be 2+ months until actual birds are in there. I will also take your advice and get that spray and the powder and I'll douse it once a week after I wash it. I also will be painting the outside, notbthat that will help most likely.

I really appreciate the info, any other helpful hints?

After you get everything to your liking (I think you have been given great advice), whitewashing the interior may help with prevention going forward.

Putting wood ash in the chickens' dustbath may also help...again going forward as a preventative...

I just wonder about their mite eggs...I am thinking the pyrethrin may help with that...borax may also help....just running through a list of things to consider...borax helped me get rid of bed bugs when nothing else worked...I got those from a purchase of one of my dogs...the breeder had washed the dog but three weeks later the eggs hatched...surprise! That was a NASTY experience, as you might imagine...I was furious.

I have no idea how borax might affect chickens so please use caution....my dogs and I were fine with it though.

Last edited:
Thanks again for more great advice, I'll look into borax as well. Painting the inside of the coop would be ok? Obviously a non toxic paint.

I think between the 7+months 0f being empty, along with a good power wash, paint inside(?) and out, in addition to all the Sevin powder, bleech spray and potential borax I will be doing while the chicks grow I'm hopeful my chickens will be in the clear.

Can you use Sevin powder in the coop and run as a preventive as well or are there better products/methods?

Many thanks!

Ps- the coop is 4x4 and constructed of thick plywood and 2x2s from what I can tell. It's heavy! Here's the only pic I have at the moment, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Please don't use Borax. Borax is very toxic. Bleach degrades completely, but Borax remains toxic, and will even poison the soil and any plant life it comes in contact with. Sevin is no longer on the approved formulary for use with poultry, though some folks still use it.

There is actually quite a current raging debate about the safety of borax but if it is worrisome, don't use it! While I usually am in complete agreement with LG, I will here respectfully disagree. I would use borax before bleach any day...
smile.png

https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/is-borax-toxic

Here is a recipe for whitewash: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1096237/whitewash-the-inside-of-your-coop-recipe-cheap-and-easy.

I recently read an article that added the borax to the whitewash. Scroll down on the link for the recipe.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Instead of the Sevin (which I would never use) the pyrethrin is a natural substance, derived from plant-based materials.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom