Sanitizing the Feeders and Water Bowls....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinos_rock, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Tomorrow I am going to sanitize my chick feeders and water bowls to get ready for the new chicks. How many parts bleach to how many parts water should I use? [​IMG] I don't want the little things to die; I don't know how sensitive they are to bleach. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I use only an eyedropper full of bleach to a quart of water in a spray bottle (amount of bleach based on the major makers 'anywhere' sanitizer formula) . AND Label it!!--Just trust me and label the durn thing!! Scrub first, rinse and spritz and leave set 15 minutes.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Anything you leave to dry should neutralize the bleach. It turns to salt when it dries. So it really shouldn't matter if you use too much bleach as long as you rinse, dry 100%, and then rinse.

Personally I've always used vinegar for cleaning things. In studies it has killed just as many germs as bleach, it's nontoxic even while wet, and it cuts through our hard water deposits and urine stains left on cages better than bleach. Only downside is the vapor given off while curing which requires cages to still dry completely before using them unless they have good ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by