Santa gave me a "Chick" gift card (for day old chicks)

BUFFS!!!
big_smile.png
My girls were beautiful, and their passing was a very sad time for me. I loved them dearly. I also suggest Easter Eggers/ Ameraucanas. great, friendly birds with beautiful eggs.
highfive.gif

what are is the EE's abreviated for?
thanks for the post,
mostly for eggs, last time we did end up with a rooster out of 5 chicks
that I did not keep he was mean and nasty to me and the hens.
buff orpington is out we lost ours at a year old, I think she was too docile and was picked on and would not fight back at all.
she died suddenly, don't know why, was fine in morning and when I got home dead,

ok looked at other post they are the americana's yep I have two of them.
they are great and they are from our original batch of chickens first ones they are now to soon to be three years old and still laying eggs

My EE was my favorite, laid the biggest and best eggs pretty much daily. This past summer was so hot and most of my chickens stopped laying (as did a lady's hens at a near by farm) so never thought much of it. She never showed any signs of being sick and went straight to laying lethargic to dead in an hour. Poor thing was egg bound (hubby cut her open to see what went wrong). I was so sad, but she never showed any signs, unless it was some kind of calcified tumor or something. She was eating and running around everywhere right up till her last few moments
sad.png
. I have two more ordered for this year along with a EE roo.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
sorry about your hen yep mine could have been egg bound while I was at work, you never know,
I think I will get about four more maybe five, you never know how many will survive or be roosters.
I only want about 7 hens, total,
it is a warm mild winter here in washington state, the east side.
I posted pics but don't know where to look for them now, don't know if you can find them or not

I almost forgot, I Ordered two olive eggers also..
wee.gif
Can't wait. I have never ordered before from a hatchery so hope all goes well. By the way we used to live in Arlington WA. One of my favorite places I have lived. I really miss the weather.

I got some Golden Laced Wyandottes last year and they are AWESOME at getting along with my EE hen. They play very nicely together, they are team players & no fighting. In the past I also had some issues with the EEs picking on meeker breeds but I have had no such problems with the Wyandottes. They stand up for themselves but do not pick fights. I totally recommend them for getting along well with others.

sounds good yep my EE do pick a little not much but they did pick on the milder hen that would not fight back she is the one I lost last year, at a year old.
she was the buff orpington,
so pretty soon around in april will add some new chicks,
of course it will be a while before introducing them,
any suggestions on how to do this? I have done it before but any suggestions will help on any new ways.
before kept them separate, until they were big enough to put in the dog kennel, cage, when they were big enough to not go through the slats, then i introduced them outside while they were in the cage to the other chickens, for a few days, then as they were a little bigger let chickens ck them out while outside with me there beside the cage,
sometimes we had to stop the adult chickens from pecking at them,
then eventually as they got big enough to defend themselves we stuck them together.
any other advice to make this process easier?
we have three chickens right now,

Back
Top Bottom