1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Santa Rosa CA Chicken Ordinances

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MamaHen18, Nov 24, 2011.

1. MamaHen18

MamaHen18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    does any one in santa rosa ca have any legal roosters? or does anyone know the laws with roosters? it would be a big help! please and thank you [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    No person shall stable, keep, pasture or maintain livestock within the limits of the City, unless expressly allowed to do so by the zoning code. No person owning any interest in any lot or parcel of real property within the limits of the City shall permit livestock to be owned, kept, possessed or maintained upon such lot or parcel of real property unless expressly permitted by the zoning code. This section shall not apply to any circus, carnival or show permitted to operate within the limits of the City. (Ord. 3160 §§ 8 (part), 9 (part), 1994: prior code § 3.21)

3. MamaHen18

MamaHen18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    that doesnt answer my question about the rooster

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    According to your city's ordinances if you are not zoned "rural" your are not allowed to keep chickens.

5. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Some cities (including mine) do not consider chickens under the clause of "livestock" but as "poultry" and have a separate ordinance pertaining to poultry.

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    You are correct. However Santa Rosa's definition of livestock is : “Livestock” means any animal customarily kept by humans for the purpose of providing food, clothing or work, including, but not limited to: equine, bovine, ovine, caprine, porcine and fowl, but excluding bees.

7. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  8. Julie M

Julie M New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    Santa Rosa recently approved backyard chickens. Dont know if tgat includes roosters tho. Sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by