Santoku knives---a good knife?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Dec 7, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I wanted to buy a knife that can cut, peel, chop, mince all meats and vegetables. Would the seven, six or five inch Santoku knife will fit the bill?

I hated my butcher block knives/accesories (scissors, little knives, huge knives, etc) under my kitchen sink and steak knives are pathetic but that is what I use the most. I have a bread knife, a core/pare knife of excellent quality brand but now I need something to do the functions as above without all those knives. One or two knives for that purpose is what I am looking for and perhaps a good sharpener would be needed. I am going to put my two butcher blocks and knives and accessories on Freecycle. They are the Wal Mart brand and the other one, it was ok but it is unbalanced when you slice, it would devert the other way when you try to cut or slice a potato. Annoying as heck so figured to save some space of all the unnecessary knives, I decided to ask this for on my Xmas list is one or two Santoku knives for my all purpose knives.

I am not sure of what brand to buy yet, but leaning more to Wusthof......

What you guys suggested? Any terminology I need to know?

2. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I have the J.A. Henckels Five Star knife set and just love it. I was able to find it barely used on Ebay and then added a few knives to the set. You can't beat a nice quality, sharp knife. It takes a lot of work away from your hand, wrist and arm, that you don't realize that you use with cheaper knives. I saw some Henckels santoku knives at the nearby Marshalls and I've seen Wusthof there before too. Do you have a Marshalls nearby that you can check out?

Forgot to mention...If you go with Henckels, make sure it's the one with two stick people, not one. They're totally different quality.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    One of the most important things is to find a knife that fits in your hand well. I've had expensive knives that had handles that did not fit in my tiny hands. Currently 2 chefs kinves from a cooking suppily store are holding up well.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love mine! Rachael Ray uses them and I looked and looked and had a hard time finding them till recently. Now, Walmart has several of that type and I love them!

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Look up MAC knives.
    THey are the best I know of but costly.

But I have my eye on that $3000.00 Japanese steel Santoku that's made like a Samuri sword. (when I hit the lotto)

6. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the 7 inch Santoku Wusthof knife. I love it. This knife is my "war horse". I only have this one, a bread knife, and a paring knife. I don't like to have clutter and I find that this is all that I need. Be sure to invest in a good quality knife and it will last forever and you don't really need all those that come in a butcher block set.

Mary

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My hubby absolutely loves his Shun knives. They are so sharp and very durable.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love Santoku knives and I have 6 different sizes! My nephew gave me a wonderful set of them for Christmas last night. If you do a lot of cutting and chopping I highly recommend them.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Exactly my thought!

How about the sharpener that comes with it? Or is it better to have it sharpened by a professional?

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:[​IMG] I dont think my budget would allow that!

Anyway, does it matter about the size wise????????????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by