Sapphire Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newhobbie, Dec 8, 2016.

1. newhobbie

newhobbie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2015
    Mt. Carmel, TN
    I recently read a UK blog post about a crested cream legbar roo and White leghorn hen cross called a Sapphire. According to the post these birds lay a blue egg and have high production. Has anyone raised any? Anyone have any photos of the grown birds or their eggs? The blog didnt have any photos and when you google sapphire chicken you dont get many relevant results.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

1 person likes this.
  3. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    I actually seen some on craigslist tonight scrolling through the local farm section, I had never heard of them until I seen the ad. The seller didnt post a pic of the eggs but theres pics of the chicks and parents and a description here:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5908244726.html

1 person likes this.
  4. newhobbie

Dec 2, 2015
    Mt. Carmel, TN
    Thank you both! Looks like the hen in the Craigslist ad is all white like a leghorn with a crest like a legbar.

5. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Yes i thought so too or maybe a little more creamier colored, also dont know how old pictured birds are but if they are full size they are definitely smaller and not meat birds, i am curious to see these super blue eggs though!

6. newhobbie

Dec 2, 2015
    Mt. Carmel, TN
    Me too, I've been searching but so far I've only found photos of eggs from birds with Amercauna or EE mixed in as well as the CCL and leghorn.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    @campingshaws has saphires

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I think @R2elk in Wyoming has them....seems to me I remember being offered some hatching eggs next time I'm in his area....super nice person, as all of us here in Wyoming are! [​IMG] You can either go to the Wyoming Unite thread by doing a search for it in the bar, or just PM....pretty prompt at responding.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Check with username DMRippy. I though she kind of started that trend here in the states a few years ago, and she's located in the south, not sure if she's close to you or not.

I do think this cross has saved the lives of many a CCL rooster that otherwise would have been culled!

I have a blue barred blue egger rooster I've put over some Leghorn hens. Chicks are still littles yet, so no results on egg production. But I'll be hatching more of them this year. He's not crested, so I don't get that cute factor, but if the offspring churn out eggs like a Leghorn, but the blue color, they should be hugely popular.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by