Sapphire Gem rough feathers

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
I have a mixed pullet flock of 4 (2-ee’s, 1-Orpington, 1-Sapphire Gem) My Sapphire Gem’s feathers have always looked a lot rougher than the others. She’s my hot mess! Any insight as to why one would look different than the rest? Lack of something? The breed perhaps? Or does she just need a bath?!

E2F6FC0D-0F50-4F95-B799-7F26CE133D8B.jpeg

A161D2BD-16E6-40D3-B3FD-392F1343116D.jpeg

Looks like a more softer feather which is often found on breeds like Orpington, and cochins. It's probably from her breeding. I personally like the look.
She definitely is soft! I love how perfectly imperfect she is But I wasn’t sure if it was due to a lack of a certain nutrient or not

:love She's pretty :love
I agree!! I’m thinking about getting a few more Sapphire Gems this spring. Her temperament is great and she lays big beautiful brown eggs :love

I think it's the lavender coloring. For some reason, that color lends itself to more feather damage. I've seen reference to a lavender "shredding" gene, but don't know if that's a real thing or not.

But yeah, she just has softer feathers than her flock mates, so they show damage faster.

I think it's the lavender coloring. For some reason, that color lends itself to more feather damage. I've seen reference to a lavender "shredding" gene, but don't know if that's a real thing or not.

But yeah, she just has softer feathers than her flock mates, so they show damage faster.
This is a very amateur question but that being said, will the feathers ever go back to being full again? I’m assuming not but I don’t know much about feathers

Back
Top Bottom