Sapphire Gem with black tipped comb

Chicken Cryptid

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
5a01b778-3f03-4292-b04d-872baa395b4c-jpeg.2206587
880C2037-A983-4197-8B8E-75092DFBE08A.jpeg
I was out sitting with my chicks this morning and when this lady hopped up on my lap I couldn’t harp but notice the black tips?! This is not frostbite, it’s summer, so I can rule that out. Does anyone have any experience with this breed and can tell me what it means? I’ve looked at other pictures of Sapphire Gems and have not seen anything similar yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 5A01B778-3F03-4292-B04D-872BAA395B4C.jpeg
    5A01B778-3F03-4292-B04D-872BAA395B4C.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 219
I'm a first time chicken keeper so I can't say if its normal or not, but my 3-ish month old Sapphire Gem pullet has the same thing. Not quite as dark as your chick but same amount of coverage, just on the tips.

Edit: I don't have any good quality close up shots of her face, but tried enlarging this one— you can sort of see the tips here, but its not great lighting.
facepic.PNG

I'm a first time chicken keeper so I can't say if its normal or not, but my 3-ish month old Sapphire Gem pullet has the same thing. Not quite as dark as your chick but same amount of coverage, just on the tips.

Edit: I don't have any good quality close up shots of her face, but tried enlarging this one— you can sort of see the tips here, but its not great lighting.
View attachment 2206922
It must be a thing of the breed! They’re beautiful birds so far, I hope it develops into adulthood. This is my first experience with Sapphire Gems :) could I see a full picture of your girls?

It must be a thing of the breed! They’re beautiful birds so far, I hope it develops into adulthood. This is my first experience with Sapphire Gems :) could I see a full picture of your girls?

Not great pictures but I did my best! Just the one Gem— she's my friendliest chicken. If I kneel down to take a picture she thinks I have treats and starts doing laps (makes it hard to get good still images!):
IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

How old is your chick? She's very pretty!

Not great pictures but I did my best! Just the one Gem— she's my friendliest chicken. If I kneel down to take a picture she thinks I have treats and starts doing laps (makes it hard to get good still images!):
View attachment 2206996
View attachment 2206997

How old is your chick? She's very pretty!
She’s nearly two months old! I have a couple Sapphire Gem chicks, but as far as I can tell, she is the only one with the black on her comb! I’m not sure if the others with develop it with age or if she’s just special :) they’re very loving birds! :D

Back
Top Bottom