Sapphire?? Or white cream Legbar?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bands 511, Dec 13, 2014.

1. bands 511

bands 511 New Egg

May 11, 2014
    I'm new at this so any help is appreciated! I've hatched some Legbar eggs and some are coming out white. Now I'm hearing the name of "sapphire" is that a breed ? I kept a pullet and roo. Should I put the pullet back in with the Legbar or the white roo?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hello there! In legbars there is recessive white, meaning that if a chick has received both copies of the gene then yes, a pure legbar chick can hatch out all white. I have these myself. They can actually be autosexed at hatch by their down color just like the regular creams can. "Sapphire" is a cross between legbars and white leghorns to create an easter egger that lays a huge amount of blue eggs. To find out if your babies are just recessive white legbars or sapphires, I would contact the people you got the eggs from. Since leghorns are most times dominant white, I would bet that sapphires hatch and feather in white, but I could be wrong about this since I've never seen an adult sapphire.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sapphire isn't a breed, it's simply a marketing term for a mixed breed high production blue egg layer.

Here's a great thread on white sport cream legbars. If you've hatched that many, I'd be letting the breeder know so they can cull appropriately if they desire.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/827877/white-sport-cream-legbars

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X4 on this.

7. phylalderhaven

phylalderhaven Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2015
    So curious about the white sapphires. You breed a cream crested legbar with a leghorn and get blue egg layers. What happens after that first generation?

8. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm also interested in what happens after the first generation.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She used to call them Super Blue Egg Layers, and there are threads around here on the mix. I'm sure some folks bred them to each other. You should be able to fine the thread(s) and see their results.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd like to see super blue egg layers myself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by