Sapphire?? Or white cream Legbar?

bands 511

Hatching
5 Years
May 11, 2014
I'm new at this so any help is appreciated! I've hatched some Legbar eggs and some are coming out white. Now I'm hearing the name of "sapphire" is that a breed ? I kept a pullet and roo. Should I put the pullet back in with the Legbar or the white roo?

Hello there! In legbars there is recessive white, meaning that if a chick has received both copies of the gene then yes, a pure legbar chick can hatch out all white. I have these myself. They can actually be autosexed at hatch by their down color just like the regular creams can. "Sapphire" is a cross between legbars and white leghorns to create an easter egger that lays a huge amount of blue eggs. To find out if your babies are just recessive white legbars or sapphires, I would contact the people you got the eggs from. Since leghorns are most times dominant white, I would bet that sapphires hatch and feather in white, but I could be wrong about this since I've never seen an adult sapphire.

So curious about the white sapphires. You breed a cream crested legbar with a leghorn and get blue egg layers. What happens after that first generation?

She used to call them Super Blue Egg Layers, and there are threads around here on the mix. I'm sure some folks bred them to each other. You should be able to fine the thread(s) and see their results.

Back
Top Bottom