Sara is down and colicking all nite. :( 34 yrs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Florida chick, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Its been a rough nite. Our dear Sara is colicking. She is the 34+ yr old that has no real teeth left. She eats soaked senior feed 3X a day with oil... She has had 2 shots of Banamine and oiled and still doesn't look good. The vet said keep an eye on her, he thinks she will make the decision on her own. He doesn't think she will make it, but she is drugged up and I am giving her a little time to see if she gets things moving. I am just a wreck, I hate this part. Of course this is an off week so Seth is away. Both kids are sitting with her on buckets and doing her mane and tail and talking to her. It just breaks my heart to deal with the old ones. They esp seem to love the kids back too. Please keep us in your thoughts, I hope this old lady makes it. She had a tough life and was neglected for many years. [​IMG] You can see her on our website.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh how sad! I am so sorry you are going through this. And the kids! Jeesh, I cant imagine what they are going through as well. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.!

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'm so sorry all of you are going through this.[​IMG]

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I am so sorry, I really hope she can pull through if it will provide her with some good time. Sounds as if she certainly has had some already though. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck

5. greentree

greentree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    I am so sorry about Sara, and will pray for you all....

Not to hijack, but the vet is coming at 2:00 to look at E.T., my TB, whoe is acting like he has had a stroke!

Nancy

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] Awwww...it is so tough. Sara and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    You took her out of a bad situation and gave her good years. Keep that in mind. It's so tough. Bless your heart for what you did for her.

7. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Good news, but I offer it guarded. She whinnied when Maggie left to go out to graze, about 5 acres out. She got to her hooves and walked a little bit.. She drank and I decided she was much better off with her Maggie. So I let her out and she walked all the way out no problem. She has not pooped. Sara poops are about 1/4 of Maggie poops so its easy to tell. LOL Sara is grazing and spitting the grass out, (normal for her with no back teeth.) I really hope she poops soon. thanks guys, its been a longggg day.

THANK YOU ALL FOR SUCH KIND AND ENCOURAGING WORDS!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hope she gets better!

9. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts. I sure hope she pulls through!

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    That is good news! The walking can only help her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by