1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sassy chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunday, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sunday

sunday Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Hello i am puzzled ... i have 10 hens 5 of them are laying 5 are to young ... one of my laying hens is laying rubber like eggs ... and after she lays ... it brakes and she eats it... what do i do ??? ... this morning i cought her just in time to take away from her .... and you would have thought i chopped her head off .... she is running a round in a tizzy .... what is going on with her??? HELP

2. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    rubber like eggs that break easily....
    am not advanced chicken keeper but woud guess at this being a calcium deficiency,she may need a calcium supplement to get her back to normal levels.

chickens eating their own eggs really isnt the easiest behavior to remove once they start,we had had two ex bat chucks that started to do this after laying rubbery eggs to.

woud personaly recommend a calcium supplement,plus get some 'fake chicken eggs'; and everytime are checking on her for eggs swap her eggs for the 'fake chicken eggs',if are not sure what these are;here are some- http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Pot___Dummy_Eggs.html
    ebay sell them may get a better deal.
    it woud allow her to feel she is still doing her job and nothing is missing,she sounds like she is just being broody.

3. sunday

Sep 21, 2012
    Thanks for the info

4. sunday

Sep 21, 2012
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by