Sassy or Steel ????????? - Straight feathered Showgirl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenzoo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My little "Sassy" started to" mock crow" in the morning if I have the door open and "she" can hear the roos outside. She has lived in the house all her life, not sure how old she was when she was given to me, but about 5 months old now? She does not make any noises the rest of the day, or if I do not have the door open. There is no comb that I can tell, no real wattles and no real saddle feathers that I can tell. She is in a cage w/ Sophie my Silkie hen, and Sassy shows no male tendencies towards her. Is she just imitating what she hears or is she really a he?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Looks like a she to me. I would guess she is immitating the roo's she hears outside. You can usually tell the girls by when you pick them up they stick the rear up as if they were being mounted. The boys wont. Good luck.

She is beautiful!!! I kinda like the straight feather look.

Chef

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Looks like a girl to me also. Chef is right.. when she nears egg laying she should do the squatting thing.

I like the normal feather look also, in fact in my showgirl pens there are a few normal feathereds.. my general plan is to get them up to show stock silkie type in body, except with the normal feathering.. bet they would be real cute?

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Definitely a pullet, she is just yawning.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I thought she was a girl, it was just those funny noises she was making that was making me wonder.

6. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

She is the "CUTEST" thing!
    [​IMG]
    What a doll!

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately a female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by