Sassy Pants has an adventure

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by frankenchick, Jul 29, 2008.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    From my journal:

July 29, 2008
    Sassy Pants was the first of the chicks to be named; she has worked hard to live up to that name! She is already having adventures.

This afternoon, I walked down to the coop to check on Shorty and see how she was adjusting to motherhood. There, on the folded-over screen I had tacked across the nest box as a baby gate, was one of the BR chicks, bouncing as if preparing to leave a diving board! “Yow!,” I yelled, lunging forward to scoop her back into the box. I decided that today would be the day for the move to the ex-small dog kennel I’d bought (on sale, TSC).

On the way back down with the kennel-cum-brood box, I noticed that one of the chicks was hollering especially loudly. “Someone’s in the yard!,” I said to myself. As I got closer, I started looking hard at the ground and watching my feet. I prayed that the wanderer hadn’t gotten into the 4’ weeds on the yard perimeter. Imaging looking for something egg-cup sized in that!! Behold! There was Sassy Pants, standing in front of the coop, yelling her little heart out. She had survived the fall from the box, and the 12” drop to the outside! Tough little monkey! Recall, she’s not quite 1½ days old! As I got near, she scooted under the coop . . . Great. I squatted down and put my open hands palm-up on the ground. After a few seconds, Sassy hopped over and climbed aboard.

The kids next door wanted me to change her name, but I can’t think of anything more appropriate. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Hahaha. Sounds like you'll have your hands full! [​IMG]

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG]
    Oh my! I probably would have had a heart attack. Sounds like you picked the right name to start with.
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by