SassySuz55

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SassySuz55, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SassySuz55

SassySuz55 New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    Hello from West Norriton Pa!I have wanted chickens for many years now, done some research and learning about chickens, coops etc. Last July 28th, a friend called and said she was going to a nearby place to get some chickens. I went along and came home with 4 chickens. Being a novice, I asked them to pick 4 different breeds, of all hens. So I had a Speckled Sussex, a Lavender, a Blue Orp, and a Dominique. I was told I would have eggs by end of Sept as they were about 12 weeks old. So, I fed and cared for these 4 , August went, Sept went and around mid October, I called my friend, who was my 'chicken-mentor' by now, asking about why I do not have eggs... I had done all she had suggested, putting a fake egg in the coop, a golf ball too. All to not avail, not 1 egg....my 'chicken mentor; came over, took a 5 second look at my chickens and said : Oh Ooohhh, you have all roosters!!... well, 1 lost the Lavender to a fox, traded the Dom and Blue for a couple red star hens and my friend purchased me 2 other reds. So, now I have 4 hens and a rooster, and am getting 2-3 eggs per day, one medium and one jumbo. Though I will get rid of my rooster (the Specked Sussex) this spring ;((. I also am a gardener, love to cook, and have a small outdoor pond,
    Enjoy time with my husband and 15 year old daughter and our 4 cats.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC & Merry Christmas!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Some sellers will take back chicks that grew into roosters and replace them. For the most part, the younger the chicks are, the less reliable sexing is unless you buy what are called "sex links," these are birds that were bred to be a certain color if male or female. Pretty much a sure thing.

5. kittiekat

kittiekat Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    Good thing you have a "chicken mentor" who you can call anytime.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hello and welcome.

8. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome to BYC!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by