1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saturday is LOCK-DOWN--33 eggs, HovaBator 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahandbray, Jan 13, 2015.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Ok, so this Saturday is lockdown on my very first batch of incubated eggs. Any last minute suggestions?!?
    Here's what I'm doing and add any tweaks you think I should do:
    --take eggs out of turner
    --take out turner
    --gently lay eggs on their side on the wire mesh bottom of incubator
    --fill trays one and two with water.

Do I need sponges? Directions that came with the incubator even have stapled directions explaining humidity and that I don't need to add anything else to the incubator. Says humidity above what they suggest decreases hatch rate.

So do I just sit back and watch them hatch?!? I sure hope so!! This is so much fun!!!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Good luck with your lockdown :fl
    Do you have a hygrometer for measuring the humidity? I like at a least 65% for lockdown some like more. If you do have hygrometer and it shows less than 65% with your water in you can add sponges to bump it up. It is surface area and not depth that create the humidity. After adding though I would suggest you leave the incubator to settle before making any adjustments. What are your incubators recomended humidity for lockdown?

3. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    The hygrometer is built-in to these new HovaBators--it has a digital read-out for temperature and humidity.
    I don't have the booklet in front of me, but it basically says fill trays 1 & 2 for regular elevation locations and just shut it on day 18. Humidity for setting was between 45%-55% (which it has been faithfully with no tweaking) and between 55%-65% for hatching. No mention of a sponge being added.
    -Sarah

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm one of those that prefer higher. I like mine at least 70%, but shoot for 75%. I also use sponges in mine at lockdown for two reasons. 1) To get and keep my humidity up during lockdown/hatch. 2) Because it's easier to slip the bator open enough, grab out the sponge and wet it and slip it back in w/o loosing humidity than to open it up and refill the wells or play with a tubing/or dropper to add water. Good luck on your hatch!

5. Chicke lady

Chicke lady New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    Tickfaw, La
    I'm also using the 1588 to hatch I have a question about my batch...I added a dozen eggs 4 days after the first dozen went in because the second dozen wasn't sent when it was supposed to be....what should I get my humidity to at day 18 for the first dozen that won't harm the 2nd dozen who are 4 days behind?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would never do a staggered hatch because of this very problem, but if faced with this dilemma, I would say (my opinion, mind you,) if I did not have any peeping or pipping at day 18, I would push the lock down back a day and lock down at day 19 instead of day 18 to give the ones that are 4 days behind an extra day before upping the humidity to hatching levels. I would stop turning the first ones at 18 though and turn the second half manually for their remander of time. Then early on day 19 I would go into lockdown and up the humidity and hope for the best. The first half really need that humidity to hatch, hopefully with the others only being 4 days behind, and if you can hold back one day befor lockdown then those eggs will only be in higher than needed humidity for 3 days early, they will all be ok.
    Only other suggestion would be if someone had an incubator you could use as a hatcher for a few days.
    Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by