1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

saturday morning surprise

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sugar Sand Farm, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    MY DH and I were going to town this morning to do our usual errands. We were traveling down a roadthat cuts through the management area when we saw something in the grass. We usually go slow through there as deer sometimes cross the road. At first my DH thought it was a weasel or mink. I thought it was a doxie pup. It finally cleared the grass and came onto the road. I couldnt believe it someone had dropped off a tiny puppy it can't be more than 4 weeks old. DH got out and poor little thing came right up to him we took him back home.then returned to town. When we came home we bathed him and started defleaing him. it took 2 hours to get him clean.Poor little thing the Grand kids called him Bandit. He is so young we had to soften the puppy food with water before he could eat it.
    It makes me so mad that someone would drop off an animal. We have a shelter in town and 2 rescue groups. how in the world did they think something that small could survive. DH wants to keep him says whats one more My golden hasnt let him alone yet he keeps mothering him. Well at least hes safe now. hes sleeping with my grandson.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I am glad you had the eagle eyes to see him, and that he is safe now.
    Growing up we always had "found animals", goat, dogs, cats and such that people liked to drop off.

It seems like only a weeny would do that!
    (can't man up to the responsibility)

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I believe God put you there at the right time to save that baby, someone else might have just ridden off or not saw it. You never know that puppy might one day grow up and save YOUR life. God Bless you for your act of kindness.

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    aww poor thing , stubid owners [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww, the poor thing. Im SO glad you and your DH was there to find, and save it. Keep it! I bet it turns out to be a great dog. What breed is it? Any idea? Got pics?

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Many years ago we had a very young puppy show up on our dirt road and we assumed it had been dropped off. Turned out mom, who lived several roads away, had taken off through the woods with her puppies trailing behind her. The ones that couldn't keep up just got left behind.....

The owner of the female dog spent several days looking for the pups that got lost along the way.

Julie

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I was figureing that whoever dropped them off dropped mom and babies off too but this little guy got separated. There are no houses around there so i don't think it came from someones home.We looked around for more but there is a big cropping of trees there and its difficult to get in there. He doing fine this morning my granddaughter is keeping him very busy Hes being ridden around in her baby carriage. I don't know what breed he is he looks alittle like shepard coloring but he is very tiny he has very small feet. I will try to get a picture up but I have never posted any pics yet. There no question about keeping him my gandkids would disown me if we didnt. Micki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by