sausage from meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tad, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I am gonna hold a couple off to the side and let them get another week or 2 on them and then try a batch in the grinder, anybody else make chicken sausage?

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    No but I would sure like to know how [​IMG]

3. slaghunter

slaghunter Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Stafford, VA
    never did chicken but this year I did do some turkey sausage. Did not use homegrown got some for $.39 a pound before turkey day. I did some with apple because I had chicken apple sausage one time I really liked. Turns out it's good with turkey too. I did spicy Italian and another flavor I can't think of right now. I did loose sausage instead of links but they would be good too. The one thing I would do different is use a coarser grinding plate. I used my fine which is 1/8" that is what I normally use for my deer sausage but in retrospect I think it was too fine for turkey. I would use at least a 1/4" plate or maybe even a 3/8" plate. I'm hoping to raise some meaties this year and want to do the same.

4. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Sounds like a great idea. Definitely worth trying!

5. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I think I am going with a italian blend, and duly noted on the size of plate, I am looking at a feta cheese and spinach recipe too!!
    While looking over various sausage blends etc, duck sausage popped up up a couple times and now I am thinking when this next batch of meaties is gone....maybe do 10 ducks, jumbo pekins and see how well that goes too!!!

6. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    One of my favorite sausage brands is a chicken sausage - I buy it all the time...
    For the life of my I cannot remember the name of the brand, but their Italian sausage is divine.
    Good Luck!

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Is it Gerber Amish Farms? I know they make a Italian chicken sausage.

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I get a chicken mango sausage every so often...YUM!!!

The chicken and apple sausage is good too tho...but the mango one is amazing [​IMG]

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I make jerky a lot, and bought a sausage kit this fall. I'll be making some soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by