Sausage without grinder, food processor. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by jdywntr, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'd really like to make some sausage once my ducklings grow out. I don't have a meat grinder, food processor (blender or microwave for that matter). I am thinking just bulk type sausage, not in casings but I'd still like the consistency of sausage. Actually I'd love to do casings just don't see how it would be possible without some type of machinery.

Is it possible to make sausage without these?

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I think if you partially froze the meat and spent alot of time chopping it down to the right "ground meat" texture you could. I have better luck trying to slice meat that was frozen solid, then thawed just enough that it is not rock solid but still has ice crystals throughout it. I do this when I want really thin slices of meat.
    Just make sure to cut super thin slices across the grain to start with so you are breaking up the structure of the meat as much as possible. And have a really sharp knife.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    You can also buy a hand turned meat grinder for about $30 new. Probably alot cheaper at a rummage sale or Goodwill.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by