sav a chic questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clinto, Feb 24, 2015.

1. clinto

clinto Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    Palm Valley FL
    I got some for my new girls and it says to make new solution everyday. anyone know why that is? i can divide it up to make a little bit each time but with only 5 chicks i will only need a pint a day really.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    B/C it will grow bacteria. How's your algebra? Figure out how much a packet will make. Dump the packet out on a piece of waxed paper, divide it in half, divide that half in half, and continue dividing until you have a pint's worth. Pay very close attention to how much is in the final Pile. You'll then know how much to put into your next pint of water.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I figured it out when I bought some for my first chicks, measured out the packet contents and did the math from there.....never needed to use it but here it is.
    Sav-A-Chick
    Powder Water
    2 tsp 4 Qts
    1 tsp 2 Qts
    1/2 tsp 1 Qt
    1/4 tsp 1 Pint

4. clinto

Feb 10, 2015
    Palm Valley FL
    Thank you guys. Didnt realize the bacteria would be an issue but that make sense. Looks like im dividing up when i get home. Do you offer clean water at the same time or alternate days of clean and electrolyte?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can stop it when they are eating and drinking well and acting normal. If you have a chick or two who are lagging, I'd offer both regular water and the electrolytes.

6. clinto

Feb 10, 2015
    Palm Valley FL
    I tried dividing the powder up and it was fine for the first batch. I live in FL and had it on a plate divided up for a few hours and noticed it was starting to absorb the humid air and was ruined. Do you think i could go ahead and mix up the whole batch and freeze portions that could be used each day? I just have a few packs left and dont want to waste the rest.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think a little caking from humidity is going to 'ruin' it.
    Not sure about mixing with water and freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by