Savagely injured 2 month old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kadjain, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone with experience know what more I can do for this chick? Should I stitch it's head? Shave it and use a butterfly band aid? Or just let it scab and heal?
    I went to feed the 2 month old chicks and found this one scalped and beaten.
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No stitches; only clean wounds treated in the first few hours should be stitched. She needs to heal from the edges in so the wound can drain. No need to remove feathers or dress it, certainly no need to butterfly. Just clean with a bit of saline or mild soapy water and apply Neosporin or the like once or twice a day. You can also clean with dilute Betadine or peroxide but it's best to rinse them off and only use them once or twice. Just be sure you don't use an ointment with a "caine" drug such as cetacaine, benzocaine, etc. You'd be surprised how well they heal. It's also a good idea to keep them indoors for the healing so flies won't lay their eggs in the wound, which become maggots. Or, there are products (probably in the horse section) that keep flies away. BluKote is mildly antiseptic and will nelp hide the wound from other chickens if you have her in with the flock.

3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I have a bit of would cleansers and dressings. I just checked the one I already used and it does not contain any 'caine' drugs and I'll check the rest before I use them. I used 3% Oxy. Perox. when I first found the poor thing. It will be inside to recover and heal before it goes back with its chickmates.

Thanks again

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds good. I hope she heals up fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by