Savanah Moniter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by the1much, Aug 31, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

does anyone know if you need or can worm a moniter lizard ,,
    kinda WAY off "farm animals" topic,,hehe [​IMG]
    thanks allz [​IMG]

2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I believe Fenbendazole (Panacur) is safe for use in reptiles but you'd need an accurate weight and a more knowledgeable reptile owner than me to get the exact dosage. But I'm almost positive it is safe for them at the proper dosage.

3. the1much

Thanks Texasgirl ,, i've had a big ole iguana before,, and have had this monitor for about a year,, i never thought about it with the ig.,, she ate veggies,,, but my monitor eats mice and things ,, and figured since i worm my birds,,hehe [​IMG]
    Thanks again.

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I use Panacur for my reptiles ..I have a "few" [​IMG] ...and it's safe when you have correct calculations from an Exotic Herp Vet or a very experienced hobbyist/breeder.

If you try and just "wing it" on guesstimations, you can severely ..if not fatally... harm your animal. I rescued a Uromastyx almost 2 years ago ..and some dimwit thought they'd do me a favor and "worm" him before I picked him up ..uhh, yeah [​IMG]

Tandoor had bloody stools for weeks after ..took forever to re-load the "good" gut flora ..and I nearly lost my boy! [​IMG]

You could always go the safe route ..and just take a fecal sample (fresh is best) into your Vet and have them do a flotation. You'll know for sure that your Monitor needs to be dewormed ..and not just doing it all "willy nilly" [​IMG]

5. the1much

You could always go the safe route ..and just take a fecal sample (fresh is best) into your Vet and have them do a flotation. You'll know for sure that your Monitor needs to be dewormed ..and not just doing it all "willy nilly"

ya i think thats the route i'll go,,,i alwayz play it safer then "winging it"

Thanks, [​IMG]

6. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    You're welcome! [​IMG]

Do you have any pics of your Sav? I think they are one of the cooler Monitors for limited space and intermediate herp keeping. I'm always on the look out for the ones that need a good, stable home ..kind of have a soft spot for 'em!

7. the1much

here's 1 of her bout 5 months ago,, and 1 of the black emperor,,hehe [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Ohhh.. she's beautiful! [​IMG]

I'm into bugs, too ..that's a funky shot of your Emp! It's pretty neat how they sort of glow ..especially when they are freshly moulted.

What kind of tarantula do you have?

I have about 35 of 'em ..partial to "bird eaters" ...but have a few others, too. I even have a male L. difficilis that just moulted out to 8" leg span ...Skywater is a big boy .. and awesome! [​IMG]

9. the1much

thanks [​IMG]
    i have NO idea what kind it is,,, i call it a " west texas yard spida" haha [​IMG] ,, i found it when i was wondering what the cat was playing with,, and my daughter had 1 she called "Buzz" when she was 2,, had him for a year, and went on vacation,, and grammy had a "small accident",, so when i saw this 1 ( what made him any different from the other 475 out there i have no idea) i grabbed him up and put him in a 20 gal tank,, and my daughter saw him,, ran over and said,, "Buzz!! its me,, do you remember me?, i used to be your human",,[​IMG][​IMG]
    i had an emp. before that lived with our big "yard snake" ,, the snake would dig the scorpion holes to sleep in,, they were always near or touching,, then 1 day the scorp died,, and the snake stopped eating for 4 months,, then when he did eat finally ,, he died 2 days later,,,,,,, ( i say it was a bad mouse,,,, food poisoning hehe )
    you should post some pics!! i'd like ta see [​IMG]

10. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    It's easier for me to post links... cuz there's a LOT!! [​IMG]

www.reptilegeeks.com/aneesasmuse

and www.insectgeeks.com/aneesasmuse

I
    don't think all of my "bugs" are posted in the gallery, but there's a few there. In fact, I may not even have my whole collection updated on there.. now that I think of it. I have a few duplicates and multiples ...more than one of each species, etc. I have breeding plans, so I was bumping the odds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by