1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Save Auntie !!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theprimouomo, Jul 7, 2011.

1. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    sos save auntie!! my 5 months chickens and mama moved in the coop today early morning as the seconde mama steped a step in the coop mama goes shooting to auntie!!BEATING AUNTIE!! KICKING AUNTIE!!! AUNTIE IS HELPLESS!! rooster mama's boy is also supervising the fight!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?? SAPARET THEM OR JUST KEEP THEM THEY WILL FIGURE IT OUT??? i thing mama is proctecting her babies!! BUT THEYARE5 MONTHS OLD !!!HELP!!!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Was she not in the coop until now? If she was, what changed in the coop?

3. theprimouomo

Jul 31, 2010
    will mama was brooding auntie moved out the coop into another coopuntill now she moved back!

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's why they are ganging up on her then. Can you give her an area of the coop where she can see/interact with the others, but they can't peck her? This will give the others some time to get used to her again.

5. theprimouomo

Jul 31, 2010
    will mama was in broody auntie was in another coop next to mama's coop were she could see them...but to day i moved her to the coop

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's going to take a couple weeks for her to get back in the pecking order with them. If there's not any blood, then let them work it out. Throw out weeds, scratch, scrap from the kitchen - anything to keep them busy, less focus on beating her up.

7. theprimouomo

Jul 31, 2010
    oh my god thanks so much for the advise but em afraid that the chicks will learn from mumy to beat auntie?

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My broody had a tough time integrating back into the flock - he chicks integrated fine (and no, they won't beat her up - she's already established her dominance over them). It got to the point that she was hiding on the roost all day and wasn't eating. I would throw some scratch out for the rest of the flock and take her out of the coop and set her on my lap. At first, she'd bolt back into the coop. But I continued to do this every day. Soon, she was staying out longer and longer, but she'd still come back to me for protection. After a couple of weeks of this, she was perfectly re-integrated into the flock and had no issues after that. Every time I went into the run though, she would come running to me to be picked up and petted. Unfortunately, I ended up losing her to a fox.

9. theprimouomo

Jul 31, 2010
    aaaaawwww how cute well actually you made me calm!! i was soo worried!!! WHAT A FOX GOT HER!!! HOW SAID THANK GOD WE DONT HAVE THEM AROUND HERE! THANK YOU ANYWAYS

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, a fox got her. I was so upset, cried for days - it always has to be the favorite you lose. It climbed a 6 foot tall fence and grabbed her from the run during the day. I put up some extra fencing where it climbed, and my dog has been on patrol - thankfully it hasn't come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by