Save or toss?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Howard E, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Howard E

Howard E Crowing

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Never faced this predicament before. We had to be gone for 5 days, with nobody around to gather the eggs. Birds did OK confined to the Woods house, so no harm to them. Except when I let them out this evening, I gathered 7 dozen eggs, which they left over a 5 day period. Temps the first two days in the low 80's. Temps the past three days mid 90's, pushing 100 today.

Will these eggs be OK to keep and use or toss em?

2. Howard E

Howard E Crowing

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    PS: Infertile......I don't keep a rooster.

3. If it were me I'd toss them since they were subject to such high heat.

If they left you 7 dozen over a 5 day period you'll have plenty again no time!

FowlWitch, sourland and Folly's place like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Tough call with the high temps....probably OK, but you'll have to decide.
    Are they 'clean' on the outside?

When in doubt....throw em out...or....
    Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
    use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I generally use the separate dish all the time to check for anything... weird in eggs before cooking with them. I did this even with store bought eggs back in the day. Helped avoid funky stuff.

Compost King likes this.
  6. Howard E

Howard E Crowing

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    My usual surplus normally ends up at a half way house for guys being released from prison. Guy who runs it had his own birds once upon a time, so should know a good egg from a bad one. (no pun intended).

My thought is to give the whole lot to them, with caveats you suggest. Break each of them in a bowl and inspect before using.

The last hot day was a normal day.....picked them up late PM as usual. The one's I'd worry about were out there 3 or 4 days. Can't tell them apart as they were all mixed together.

OTOH, I read somewhere that fresh eggs are slow to go bad when not refridgerated.....unless you wash them. Would keeps for several weeks. Or so I seem to recall.

sourland likes this.
  7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I've just made an omelet from eggs that are eight days old and have sat in a coop with outside temperatures in the 100's F; the eggs were fine.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You will get a lot of different takes on this issue. I'm in the 'when in doubt, throw them out' camp. And I certainly wouldn't give them to other people to eat!
    Mary

Shadrach and sourland like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They sat for 8 days in those temps?

Shadrach likes this.
  10. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Yep. I don't collect eggs daily. They were not all 8 days old. It looked like a hen was going to sit but she changed her mind and I just left the eggs there. So, three days minimum and eight days max, six eggs in total.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: