Save us from the dreaded Soup Pot! 2 young cockerels

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Free!! Pick up only or will deliver within 30 miles. Two young cockerels - 4 1/2 months old.

Cash is hatchery quality turken over a HQ black turken hen. He does not have the naked neck. **

4810_p5190040.jpg

Rowdy is HQ turken over HQ easter egger. Rowdy doesn't have the naked neck either.

4810_p5190041.jpg

**These pics are about a month old. Both boys are much larger now. Can get current pics if needed. Rowdy and Cash are very handsome and will only grow to be more so.

Both are healthy and active - too "active".
roll.png
Both are used to being handled.

There's just too much testosterone poisoning going on 'round here.
barnie.gif

I have decided to cut my hens some slack and only keep TJ, son of Thor.

Save these boys from the soup pot please.
smile.png

Ahhh, I wish I/or you lived closer...and that my area allowed roosters. These are beautiful guys. Hopefully someone will take them
idunno.gif

Soooo... just how Rowdy is a Rowdy?
tongue.png

And I thought you said before that you were keeping Cash? What's his temperament like?

Quote:
When Rowdy was a few days old he was attacked by a meat bird. It left him paralyzed. I brought him in the house to care for and he spent the next few days raising holy heck. I had to hold him non-stop for the duration of his recovery. He did "allow" me to take a shower if DH held him; otherwise I had that bird in my hands or in a sling around my neck at all times. I even slept on the couch with him cuddled up to my neck. I had a little brooder set up for him, but if I tried to put him in it he went ballistic. That's how Rowdy got his name.

He recovered and I returned him to the coop and his broody mama, only he had forgotten he was a chicken by then and raised more cain.

Both boys have good temperments in that they are respectful of humans. Cash is DH's favorite, so I wanted to keep him, but with the hormones hitting the boys are driving my hens crazy.

Plus, I have two more cockerels with the younger chicks. One I will keep no matter what, it's one of my baby polish. The other is another light brahma, son of Thor. I wasn't sure on the gender of that one, but he started making rooster noises yesterday.

Keeping Thor's legacy alive is important to me, so that means Cash and Rowdy will need new homes.
smile.png

So if they are bred to NN or nonNN hens, will it be a 50/50 split? Sorry,
hide.gif
genetics and I are not very friendly.

Quote:
I'm clueless about genetics too. All I can tell you is that when their sire was breed to non-turkens, about half the chicks came out with the NN. Since the father and mother are HQ, there's some other genetics that come into play.

Back
Top Bottom