Save Wilbur! Family fights to keep their pet!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LindsayB, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
  2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I had a pot belly pig in my backyard for a pet. I live 5 blocks from city hall and police station. neighbors didn't care. Ummm.... let's see, she did NOT bark, she did NOT stink, if you didn't KNOW she was there, you wouldn't know. Stupid stupid people. Some people have nothing to do with their empty lives other than to make others as miserable as they are.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:According to their neighborhood’s deed restrictions, no animals or livestock that are raised or bred can be kept on the lot.

And did they bother to find out FIRST if a potbelly pig was allowed under the HOA rules they chose to buy into when they purchased their home?

I wouldn't tolerate an HOA on a bet and made very sure there was none such when I purchased my property. But when you choose to buy into one this is the sort of restrictions you are agreeing to. I think the neighbors have a right to object.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Oh Hellz no! They would have to pry my Hammie out of my cold dead hands...

Poor Wilber... Its VERY hard on PBP's to be rehomed. [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A.T. Hagan :

Quote:According to their neighborhood’s deed restrictions, no animals or livestock that are raised or bred can be kept on the lot.

And did they bother to find out FIRST if a potbelly pig was allowed under the HOA rules they chose to buy into when they purchased their home?

I wouldn't tolerate an HOA on a bet and made very sure there was none such when I purchased my property. But when you choose to buy into one this is the sort of restrictions you are agreeing to. I think the neighbors have a right to object.

I agree. There is no way I would buy a place that had an HOA but if you choose to buy in a neighborhood that does, you are agreeing to abide by their rules.​

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    A.T. Hagan :

Did the same thing when I bought my house. No HOA here.
    They should have known the rules and that if they did not comply there could be issues.​

7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I live in a HOA nieghborhood and I have chickens........ [​IMG]

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    A.T. Hagan :

Ding Ding Ding! WINNER!!!!!!

And let me say first thing-- we don't know the whole story!​

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I just googled 3400 block of Fir Forest Houston Texas.

Just about every third house has a swimming pool, no cars parked in the street, hardly any in the driveways, shrubs, lawns. Looks like a nice subdivision.

Now take that info and combine it with what we all know about HOAs and HOA board members> Got to be nuts to think you can pass gas in that neighborhood without somebody screaming about it.

10. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I just thought this story was something some of us on here could relate too...Since most of us are trying to get our neighborhoods to accept a few backyard hens. I didn't expect so many of ya'll to be negative about it. [​IMG] This pig is being kept in the house though, its more like a dog. I don't consider it "livestock". It lives a pretty pampered life and isn't going to end up as bacon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by