saved 6 chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elishajane, Oct 17, 2013.

1. elishajane

elishajane New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi everyone!
    I just joined this sight as 4 days ago I rescued 6 chickens, my best friend neighbours have deserted there house around 6 months ago, she has com back twice in this 6 months (to feed her cats she have left. But (myself having pet chickens since I was around 8) could swair I could hear chickens in her backyard.. you couldn't see her yard because it was so overgrown and looked like a junk yard, I finnaly got in to her backyard (with great difficulty, and with 2 men, for safety lol) when we got to the far end of her yard we could HARDLY see a bird cage with 4 chickens stuffed in, we had to get the saw to cut the trees that had grown in the way if the door, we the couldnt open the door (I'm talking a full grown man couldn't) as there was so much poo on the floor we had the break town the door.. and they it turned out there was 6 chickens in there, raring to get out as they ran to us lol, I took them to my coop which luckily I had. They are surprisingly heathy, but where starving and very thirsty, after 2 days of food, fresh veggies, water and the best bird feed they have given me 2 eggs!! I couldn't believe it! They all seem okay I hope BUT.. the pick each others tails and one chicken is very bald at her but, I can see her skin, and a bit of her back.. I'm not sure what to do??? :) that's guys:p

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How much space do they have? Chickens often peck at each other if they don't have enough room. Or, maybe they are used to pecking each other after being cooped up in a small space. If they aren't drawing blood, they should be fine.

If they do draw blood, wash the wound and spray it with BlueKote(an antiseptic spray that is blue, and disguises red blood--you probaly won't have much difficulty finding it at a livestock supply store). Put some antibiotic ointment without any painkillers or "caine" ingredients on it too.

They might be missing feathers because they are molting. Chickens molt nearly every year. If it is molting, the feathers should grow in in a few months.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The most damaging part was probably being without water. Make sure you keep fresh water on them and it wouldn't hurt to mix their feed with some water for a while. This will help flush the kidneys.

The pecking on the feathers is because they couldn't get enough protein from eating their feces. The feathers somewhat satisfy their need for protein. For a while, put them on a higher protein diet A high protein grower feed, some canned tuna, plain whole fat yogurt, meat and fish table scraps. Sunflower seed is high in protein and has lots of vitamins.

Good for you for saving them. I can't believe she would come home to feed the cats and let the chickens die of dehydration and starvation.
    She could have at least let them out to fend for themselves. At least they could have found food and water running free.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. elishajane

elishajane New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    I know.. I'm discusted in her, the cats have hardly been fed, and I have called the RSPCA (Australian animal welfare) on her. Thank you for the tipps, I have a tin of tuna I will feed them tommorow, makes since they where watching then for protein, the smallest chicken has seemed to cop it the most.. but I've noticed they have calmed down on doing in the last day or two..there is no bleeding so I'm not to worryed, just looks saw.. I can tel you one thing they love me haha any other advice/ foods/ are would be great guys!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Probiotics would help too. The yogurt would be a start but there are powders formulated for birds. I don't know what is available in AU

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by