Saved a chick's life!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theron, Jan 24, 2011.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    So, we have a broody serama hen who was sitting on 12 eggs. 5 were infertile and she hatched out 3 of them. Well today after school, I went out to the shed and looked under her and their were 3 eggs not 4. So I looked and looked for the 4th egg. Could not find it. Their are 8 other seramas out their with her and we were a couple months ago having a problem with an egg eater, but she has quit. So we thought one of the other birds ate the egg and chick. [​IMG] Well I look at the ground where the seramas are and I see a dead chick. [​IMG] I pick the dead chick up and feel that it is very very cold. I keep holding it and was hoping that it was still alive. I kinda opened its mouth and the chick quickly closes it. I then felt for a heartbeat and could feel a very faint one. By now I was starting to freak out and think I was going nuts. I then proceeded to give the chick a few light pushes on the heart. The chick, then, started gasping. Then, I started rubbing the chick kind of quickly and there is a heat light in the shed so I hold the chick under it. By now, the chick had started really breathing and twitching. Miraculously, the chick opened up its eyes. All of a sudden, the chick started chirping. I held it underneath the heat light for about an hour. Now the chick is in a warm incubator with two of its hatchmates warming up. The hatchmates had just hatched underneath the same hen and were still wet. So I brought all three of them inside to the incubator because I did not want to have the same thing happen to the other 2 chicks. I feel so relieved and happy. [​IMG] [​IMG] I just can't believe that I probably saved this chicks life! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    P.S. I think I might name him/her Lucky! [​IMG]

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Congratulations! I also have a chick called Lucky, one who I had to help hatch. Let us hope they are true to their name [​IMG]

4. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Nice save! What a lucky little chick! [​IMG]

You should call yourself "The Chicken Lifeguard"! [​IMG]

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Awesome job! That is thinking quickly on your feet. Did the chick walk or anything? Got pics?

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    It sure is a good thing you went out there when you did! You're gonna have to keep that one for sure now. Good job.[​IMG]

7. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's an awesome story! You did poultry CPR!

8. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    It is pretty funny bc I have actually done the heimlic on a chick because it was choking on scratch, amputated a chicks toe, and saved a button quail chick from drowning. [​IMG]

The other funny thing is I have gone through cpr class 5 times now and I still can remember it. [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's great! Congrats on the save!

10. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    Thats totally amazing! good job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by