Saved a Tyson chicken need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicegrip, Apr 11, 2009.

1. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    I found a chicken that had fallen off a Tyson chicken truck that was about 6 weeks old. She could not see to well or walk very well and had runny poo. I put her in quarantine for 2 weeks and she seems a lot better. She can see a lot better now. She still walks a little funny and has runny poo and passes gas. I think being kept in with 1000s of other chicks for so long in a small area maybe the problem with her walking. And I have no idea what they feed chicks at Tyson farms so diet change maybe the poo problem. Today is the first time I have seen a couple of normal poos. I have her on starter (medicated) and she drinks at least 1qt of water every day and she eats fine. My main concern is her runny poo and how much she drinks. Any advice would be helpful.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    All the ones that I see that have fallen off of a truck are dead. Good luck!

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    What a good samartian! Keep up what you are doing, it sounds like it is working! the chick is still alive:)

4. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

What an amazing rescue, I am so happy for that little guy/gal. I think maybe try some yogurt, that helps just about any creature when they have runny poos.
    I wish I had more insight.
    Kycklingmamma

5. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    Good job. I see you are from Mena. I spent alot of time there when I was young-family there. Hope you weathered the storm OK. Keep doing what your doing with it.

6. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Quote:Wee live 12 miles out of town we hade no problem with the weather. But down town is VERRY BAD massive destruction everywhere. I took all my generators in town and helped out a couple of families. They need all the help and prayers they can get thank you.

7. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    I see a lot of dead ones but I was just in time for this one. We live back in the woods so there’s not much traffic. Thanks for the yogurt thing we did that for 5 or 6 days off and on but I think I’m going to just see what happens now without it because she has a couple normal looking poos now.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I believe you are right about the runny poo being related to feed. This farm was a commercial chicken farm for many years. My SO grew up here. He blames the "hot feed" that Tyson delivers to the farmers as the cause of many of the broiler problems.
    We left Mena two hours before the tornado hit the other night. Sure have been worried about y'all. Stay safe ya hear? If there's anything we can do for y'all please feel free to PM me. [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I agree with the PolishPrincess, you ARE this hen's angel. Wow, sounds like they are probably not much better than what you hear of KFC, huh? Makes you sick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by