Saved by the barn builders!! coyote problems..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sweetly Silkies, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    we have a few people putting up our barn right now, and as they were working they saw a coyote zoning in on the chickens..
    we were sitting inside and BAM just shots and stuff, which freaked us out, lol
    but thank goodness they were there!! that woulda killed somebody.
    he missed by just an inch or something. >.<

how on earth do we get rid of these coyotes?!
    they are everywhere. completely surrounding us, they come in our yards, and everything.
    advice!?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Shooting them is about the only way and when they start getting shot at it usually tends to make them stay away, for a while. They'll always come back though so it's pretty much never ending. And if you have chickens free ranging... they are eventually going to get those chickens, they will keep at it until you have no chickens. They are very good at sneaking in, grabbing one and running off before you even know he's there. A livestock guard dog is another good way to deal with coyotes, if you have the room for one and the time to raise and train one. Our neighbor has a Catahoula dog who does an amazing job of keeping our area clear of coyotes.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with cafarmgirl - they are persistent predators, particularly when they had had a sample of chicken. A dog is good to have around and sniping the coyotes curious enough to show their noses takes care of the that singular problem...but others are ever ready to rotate in and take over chicken stealing duties! Vigilance! Best of luck to you!

4. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    Well, we have a great pyrenese we have with the goats, but she comes down here alot. (we have 200 acres so she is all over the place, lol)
    She got bred before we got the chance to spay her, and in February she will have pups. Shes a year and a month old, so shes old enough dont worry.
    we could train one of her puppies to stay and guard.

we have gone coyote hunting a few times, but to no success.

5. aherzlin

aherzlin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    You need 1 of these. He's a big teddy bear, but takes great offense when someone interrupts his lounging. The best part is that he's usually inside and his little sister (a 70# shephard) patrols outside. I have a upper level deck so I've been able to watch a few coyotes team up and try to get by the girl by coming from different angles only to get a a very rude awakening when he decides he's heard enough growling and comes from a different part of the property in a bad mood. Sometimes I swear I can actually see the coyotes eyes get really wide right before they high-tail it [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by