Saved first egg, is it ok??!!

jenichick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
NC
I saved my first egg, not in the fridge, but I wrote the date on it and put it in my curio cabinet. I know eggs rot, but if it never breaks etc, will it simply dry up inside, or will it explode? I didn't blow it out because it was so small and I didn't want holes in it. If it explodes with the horrid rotten egg smell in my curio cabinet, I'm gonna puke!!!!

Last edited:
I'd say it could go either way!
lol.png

Good luck!

I'd use a large pin and prick a hole in the bottom of it and drain the egg out of the shell...I wouldn't expect an intact egg not to rot, but then again, I've never tried it.

Don't boil it or poke a hole in it. I have a half a dozen or more eggs that I've saved and just put on a shelf. As long as there are no cracks in the shell the egg should just dry up. I've had some for at least 6 or 7 years! Even had one I thought wa gong to go bad becuase when I shook it, it was all watery inside... put it in a safe place and well it just dried up and is doing just fine. The insides dry to one side and eventually when you roll them around, they move really funnily like thoes wobble toys. It's great. Just keep it in a place where it can dry out and you'll be fine.

Silkiechicken, I have heard of eggs drying over time, just as you describe. I didn't know what the odds were, so I'm glad to hear you have been so successful.

At Mom's I was giving DH a tour of the old chicken coop when we saw some VERY old eggs in the nesting boxes. Mom hasn't had chickens for over 10 years (since she got mad and had a hunter kill all the roos).

Those eggs did NOT look nice, and we backed away very slowly and carefully. No urge to pick them up. They were covered with grey-green lichen and FUNK!

But those eggs were outside in N. GA heat and humidity and never exploded.

Quote:
Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear. This is a tiny little Phoenix egg not much bigger than a 50 cent piece. It's in my sunroom in the curio cabinet with other collectable type eggs (stone, painted etc). I'll just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom